A news website produced by students of A.P. Giannini Middle School
by Katya Shlicoff
Mochi is a Japanese sweet glutinus rice with high starch that can be put into many different forms. Mochi ice cream was originated by Frances Hashimoto. in this article I will be showing you how to make mochi ice cream!
What you need:
1. In a large/medium pot fill an estimated ¾ of it with water.
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Separately, in a heat resistant glass bowl (preferably large) mix together the sweet rice flour, water, sugar and food coloring. Place the bowl on top of the pot of boiling water and start double boiling it in the pot, kneading every minute or so with a spatula for about 20 minutes.
4. After the sweet rice flour mixture is sticky enough for you to hold, get a sheet pan and cover it with cornstarch to prevent sticking. Scoop out the sweet rice flour mixture onto the sheet pan, cover the mixture with corn starch as well. Let it cool until you can hold it and it won’t burn you.
5. After the mixture has cooled down start kneading the mixture with your hands and spread out into an estimated 12 inch long and 12 inch wide, with about ½ inch in thickness.
6. Separate the mixture into 12 almost equal squares and put a spoonful of ice cream in each piece
7. Stretch out the piece of dough and fold it over the ice cream, squeeze it and twist it to close it.
8. Any extra dough you can just pull off of the mochi.
Created by the