A news website produced by students of A.P. Giannini Middle School
By: Aiden Shiu
Sugar Affects How I Learn
1. Think about this. You or your guardians may believe that sugar can affect your attention span and ability to learn. Well in 1994, they ran an experiment. The researcher’s result was that the sugar did make people hyper but it didn’t affect how they acted or how they cognitively worked. This meant that sugar will just give them an extra boost of energy.
Catching a Cold From The Cold
2. Being sick isn’t fun. I think everyone can agree on that. But, the most common known sickness is the common cold. A popular science myth is that the cold sickness was caused by the actual cold like cold weather. Cold conditions and air can worsen the common cold, it can also make you more receptive to it. To actually catch the common cold, you don’t have to be in the chilly weather. You just have to come into contact with the virus. So, basically you can’t catch the common cold from freezing weather and conditions alone.
Bananas Grow On Trees
3. Many people including myself like bananas. This fruit is one liked all over the world. Many people think that they grow on trees. Hey, before I started writing and researching this topic I thought so as well. Bananas do not actually grow on trees. They grow from plants that resemble trees. These plants aren’t trees technically speaking. They may be able to 30 feet tall and have thick, sturdy stems, but, they are not trees. They are large herbaceous flowering plants.
Are Bats Really That Blind?
4. Have you heard the phrase,” blind as a bat” Well, the next time you hear someone say that then you can hit them with waves of facts and evidence! Bats are actually not blind at all. They can see perfectly fine (almost as well as humans). But, since many live in caves, they have no need to use their eyes because it is pitch black. They use their other form of navigation. This is called echolocation (they find things using echoes).
We Have 5 Senses
5. Senses are cool right? The paper you are looking at right now is using both your sight senses and touch senses. But, what if I told you that you have more senses! Well, you do! The five senses that people tell us we have are just the basic senses. But, many neurologists say that there are 9 to 21 senses. These include hunger, pain, acceleration, temperature, etc.
Blood Is Blue Before It’s Exposed To Oxygen
6. Blood. It’s inside of all of us but many don’t understand it. Have you ever been told that the reason why blood comes out of your skin as red, is because when blood is exposed to oxygen it turns red. This is also a false statement. The blood in your veins appear to be blue only because light has to penetrate your skin to give the blood it’s color. The skin the light penetrates, makes your eyes think that the blood is blue. The truth is that blood is always red and always will be. Blood is even red when it is dried.
The Giannini Beacon Gazette is a news site created by the Journalism Club students of A.P. Giannini Middle School and sponsored by Sunset Neighborhood Beacon Center (SNBC).