By Maureen Loftus
Animals play a very big part in the Harry Potter franchise. Some of them even help the plotline more than human characters. It is my opinion that these animals don’t get enough credit (or enough infamy). I will be ranking these characters by importance, heroism, and cuteness. Some of these characters might not exactly be animals, but I’m counting them anyway (You’ll see what i mean). I’ll start with the worst.
10. Scabbers- I’m counting him because he was in three books. He was a spy for Voldemort, and brought him back to life. Bad Scabbers!
9. Aragog- He tried to eat Harry and Ron, and he is a giant spider. Just being a giant spider would put him at the back of the list.
8. Nagini- The giant snake that helped Voldemort get his power back.
7. Basilisk- Yes, he tried to kill Harry, but unlike the animals lower on this list he couldn’t really think for himself.
6. Fluffy- Fluffy wasn’t the best guard dog, considering a group of pre-teens could get past him. Even if he was super cute.
5. Arnold- Ginny’s pygmy puff isn’t that important (and not even an animal), but so cute!
4. Buckbeak- Buckbeak, the Hippogriff did attack a student, even if the student was Malfoy.
3. Fang- Fang was super loyal to Hagrid, and very brave.
2. Hedwig- Harry’s owl was through all his misadventures, and sacrificed herself for him.
1. Crookshanks- He is probably the smartest character, cat or otherwise, in the books. He detects that Scabbers isn’t a rat, and helps save Sirius Black.
Created by the